Monday, 30 April 2018

Day 20

29.04.18

WeRun Update: 11237 steps


You Know What Time It Is
So I’ve been meaning to buy some basketball shoes to be more legit on the bball courts here and I’ve had my eyes set on the Dame 4s (Damian Lillard’s most recent bball shoes). The biggest Adidas store in Nanjing had very limited stock so I thought I would try my luck in Shanghai, where I assumed would have more variety since it’s a much larger market. When I went to the big Adidas on East Nanjing Rd yesterday, I was disappointed to find that even they had no stock. Clinging on to the slim chance that I could find something, I went to Jingan District (the Toorak/Brighton of Shanghai where all the expats stay) this morning to try my luck. I was very happy to see that there were the shoes on the shelf AND in the colour that I wanted (grey the same as what Dame and Donovan Mitchell wore in the playoffs). That was half of the job done. My feet are bigger than 90% of the Chinese population so I’ve always had trouble finding my shoe size in China. Luckily, they had one left in my size. The cherry on top was that it was on sale and half price! Couldn’t believe my eyes. In China, they discount items by tagging how much you’d pay not how much you save. I was ready to pay full price (900RMB) for these shoes since it was already so hard to get them. This was already enough to make my day!

China-style Brunch
Went back to Winhouse Café, an American style brunch place in Jingan, which had good reviews on Dianping and I had been there before and enjoyed it. The way they cook brunch here is definitely a lot different to Australia, including the menu items, and I know people here in Shanghai are starting to get around the brunch culture as indicated by the constant queue for this place.  

Live broadcast is a big thing here
Walking around the park in Jingan and we saw a crowd standing behind some girl who was live broadcasting her Chinese dancing by placing her phone on a stick. What was interesting was that her audience wasn’t the crowd but the hundreds and thousands of followers tuned in to her live broadcast. She didn’t even turn around to acknowledge the crowd!

First experience of Taobao and Kuaidi (Express Delivery)
Two days ago, I ordered a gym mat and a foam roller to do some home exercises from Taobao. They came today, on the weekend. Talk about quick service. I was also able to check last night where exactly my items were – to the nearest kilometre. They were on a truck 485km away. Insane experience – would use again.

Sports night
I must admit, the Shanghai trip drained me coupled with this sticky, hot weather. Despite all that, Manchester United are up against Arsenal tonight and Cavs Pacers Game 7 is on straight after. At least, I won’t have to deal with laggy streams like I did in Australia. China has free live broadcasts of these two games on QQ Sports – premium quality too. How good is that!? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 82

01/07 First day of July. Had three hours of teaching today. It’s always nice to teach new students. I had some new faces in my two cla...