Thursday, 19 April 2018

Day 9

18.04.18

WeRun Update: 8578 steps

Kindle Update: 26% into 12 Rules for Life
Bought a new book: Never Eat Alone by Keith Farazzi

A walk around Nanjing University
To fill up my spare time, I want to really get to know my surroundings. My place is sandwiched between the two biggest universities in Nanjing (Nanjing University and Southeast University). So I decided to check out Nanjing University (Gulou Campus). It's a massive campus in the middle of the city. I noticed a lot of non-university students were there, especially oldies and adults going for their daily stroll or bike ride. You won't see much of that in Australia. 

Chinese guys don't wear shorts. 
It was 26 degrees today and I rarely saw anyone wearing shorts. There was a PE class on the main oval of Nanjing University. The class full of boys were wearing pants while playing soccer.

Food delivery is an essential part of daily life in China.
If you don't get 外卖 (wai mai) then you are not Chinese. 
I ordered my first delivery (partly because I was lazy but mainly because I wanted to try out the delivery system here. I must say it is very good. Each store has it's own discounts (折扣) to lure the many lazy consumers here in China. 
I shall not fall into the trap of doing this often. The food didn't taste as good!

Ballin' every day.
The courts were open til 10pm today and the weather was perfect to play some outdoor ball. I played with a clan of 30-40 year olds who looked like they come here often. It's a form of exercise for these gents as they are getting older and their bellies get bigger. Cigarettes after a game is a must. 

Chinese vocab of the day
学徒 apprentice - talking to a friend about hair salons and going for the cheapest one when getting a hair cut
推销 promote sales / peddling - this is what happens when you go for the cheapest one, they just non-stop try to promotion other stuff



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 82

01/07 First day of July. Had three hours of teaching today. It’s always nice to teach new students. I had some new faces in my two cla...