05.01.18 (International Labour Day)
WeRun Update: 7132 steps
Mobike Update: 20 minutes
Walking around the dorms...
So I have a friend who studies postgraduate law at NJ university and shared some stories about her experiences as a local student, whilst we walked around the university dorms.
- She lives in a small flat with 3 other girls, there is no shower in her flat
- In the male flats, there are no toilets - bathroom and shower are all common
- To shower, she has to walk 100m to the local 浴室 public bathhouse and there are no separators
- If you are an undergraduate living in dorms, there are curfews. You have to report to the person at the gate if you are late. At the postgraduate level, you still have to register but it is more lenient from what I've heard
These conditions are definitely different from what we're used to in the West. Foreign students do get much better accommodation than local students - I've personally seen the stark difference when I studied in Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Could've starred in a movie!
One of China's most famous actresses, Fan Bing Bing is filming her latest movie in Nanjing - she was spotted at Nanjing University a few weeks ago. I received notice from a basketball WeChat group that I'm in that they were looking for basketball players who were above 178cm to be extras in her new film. It would be 8 hours of filming at Hohai University and you would get 60RMB for the day. I was so close to registering since I thought it would be so dope if I could star in a Chinese movie and there aren't many opportunities around. But I had an important family lunch that I had to attend so I missed out! I've had quite a few encounters with stardom here in China - and I think there'll be many more in the future.
Yo can we play with you?
Finally get to test out my Dame4's at Southeast University. We played against these high school kids and we definitely underestimated them. People have this habit of just walking to your court and taking your ball and shooting with it without asking - you might think it's a bit rude but it's just the culture here. Everything is shared (haha communism). Then within a matter of seconds, heavy rain started to pour down. When it goes, it goes hard here in Nanjing.
I'm a uni student
There are heaps of good food joints and nice cafes around the university, which I haven't really checked out in my time here. I'm writing this blog in a cute little cafe called Nannar Cafe, it's got pretty good vibes - massive book shelves, nice sofas. Don't think this will be the last time I hang out here.
No comments:
Post a Comment