Wednesday, 23 May 2018

Day 40

20.05.2018 (Weekend in Shanghai)

WeRun Update: 9128 steps

China Footy
This morning, I went back to the ground to watch the AFL competition between the expats of different cities in China. There was the Beijing Bombers, Shanghai Tigers, Yangshuo Beerfish, Guangzhou Lions and two others. Beijing and Shanghai were all expats whilst the other teams were mostly locals. Although I didn't play, I did spend a lot of time having shots at goal and kicking it to other players who weren't on the field. The games were in AFLX format, on a soccer pitch - which I found really weird because I think it messes up the strategy. Anyway, the quality of footy wasn't amazing but I was very impressed with some of the skills of the locals. These are locals who had just picked up the game and still learning how to play but they attacked the ball hard and were very athletic and quick - which the older expats found trouble dealing with. They go to schools and colleges who specifically train them to play footy - and spend the rest of their time training their bodies - which means they're not easy to play against. Shanghai Tigers ended up winning the competition - they had the most talent and took their games very seriously with game plans and training sessions before the competition.

Expat Life
It was interesting to hear the stories and motivations of some of the expats who have been here for an extended period of time. I met this one woman who moved over here with her boyfriend, who had a goal in mind to work in Asia for 5 years. After working in Shanghai for a few years, they recently got a job offer to go to Singapore (from some people they met on holiday). I told her it's crazy how your career can change so quickly and coming from the most unexpected of circumstances. I've got a mate here who found a job in Saudi Arabia after being in Nanjing for 3 years. I have a lot of respect for people who can just move their whole lives to a different country when asked to. I think they would be used to moving around so it is just second nature for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 82

01/07 First day of July. Had three hours of teaching today. It’s always nice to teach new students. I had some new faces in my two cla...