10.05.18
WeRun Update: 3708 steps
One month in Nanjing
Wow. It's already been 30 days. I feel like I've done a lot but at the same time, I feel like I've done nothing. I've become familiar with what's around me. I've been to a few places around town. I've made some friends. I'm slowly understanding the rules that govern the people here. And I'm understanding how different life really is compared to back home. But it's only been a month. There's a lot to learn and experience and soak in. Bring it on!
First business meeting
This morning, I had my first business meeting with one of the general managers in Sanpower, who wanted to collaborate with ACYA Nanjing to get foreigners involved in their promotions. The deal was to lend us some spaces in their department store (and toy store) for us to use for our events - free of charge. However, these spaces didn't really suit what we were about so we didn't really see the benefit of using it despite not having to pay anything. Although I wasn't involved with ACYA at university, I'm keen to help it rebuild its name in Nanjing - so we're looking for events to do.
Skyways
After our meeting, Liam took me to his favourite joint Skyways, a bakery run by a German. Had a ham baguette and I must say it was very good.
An unlikely friend...
Had a coffee catch up with the same doctor I met at Zhongda Hospital the other night. It was really good just to talk about everything from learning English to her career to her childhood to her kid and family background amongst other things. She's probably 10 years older than me, but it's rare to find someone as genuine as her. I'm grateful for the time she gave me and I hope we can continue this friendship in the future.
VCE in China?
Spending so much time at home the last few days has almost made me crazy. So, I decided to go to quiz night at Arcanos, which they hold every Thursday for a bit of fun and socialising. There, I met another Aussie from Melbourne - a bloke named Rory from Sunshine, who was an English VCE teacher in China for Firbank Grammar. Yes. A VCE English teacher working in China. I was gobsmacked! I didn't know that students here in China do VCE but apparently they do it so they can apply for universities in Australia. They sit the same exams as us. I think it's pretty cool to allow students to do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment