Why go anywhere else for lunch?
My go-to place for lunch is actually just at the gate of my
neighbourhood. There are a few carts/stands set up there during lunch time. At
the first stand, you can order whatever you like and add whatever extras you
want from all the dishes they place out on the table. Today, I went to the one
next to it and it was for 盒饭 which is basically Chinese
cafeteria style food. They have a wide selection of meat and vegetable dishes.
The deal is choose 3 veg and 1 meat for 12RMB. You get a big bowl of rice in a
steel bowl. There’s a huge tub of some soup (tomato and egg) which is
self-serve. And you can even ask the guys to put some of the dishes sauce on
top of your rice to make it taste better. All this for a very reasonable price
and a filling meal. The only problem is food safety and cleanliness.
Trade-offs…
Class out in the sticks
After lunch, I had the one-hour trip to the factory to teach
my Business English class. I powered through the textbook stuff in the first
hour and left the second hour as a ‘free talk’ sort of thing. We talked about
the Internet and how it affects our lives – a very relevant topic in a society
reliant upon their smartphones. I really felt the effects of being in the
suburbs (I call it the sticks because there’s nothing around) – my phone had
poor signal and I couldn’t find a Didi willing to take me into town – so I
hitched a ride into some civilised areas from one of my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment