7 hours of classes today.
- 1000: VIP
- Spent the two hours talking about Western culture to the guy who's going to Canada for study. We went through Canada national sports: Lacrosse and Ice Hockey, famous Canadians (Drake), some hip-hop artists, Canadian cuisine (just poutine) and tipping (didn't know they also had a tipping culture)... Felt like I was the student today
- 1400: Pre-departure class
- The kid whos going to Ringwood finally wanted to learn something useful: he wanted to know how to say a solid self-introduction
- Then, I helped him set up Facebook, Instagram and Tinder and taught him some useful Internet slang
- Then we just listened to Western music and watched Victoria Secret fashion show
- 1600: Pre-departure class 2
- So the day before, I got an urgent request to teach this 15 year old kid who's about to go to Geelong Grammar School for Year 10 and has an interview with them tomorrow - they wanted me to prepare him.
- Anyway, they got me to fill out a pre-interview questionnaire, pretending to be his mum and answer all these questions like ‘Describe your son's hobbies and interests’ or 'What is he like with interpersonal relationships'
- I found out that the kid is very impressive: he does swimming and tennis twice a week, can play the piano and saxophone, has won a National Award for traditional Chinese painting - thinking back to when I was 15...
Nanjing is small?
So I never thought I'd bump into someone I know since there's just so many people and like what are the odds? When I was walking out of the shopping centre in Xinjiekou today, I bumped into a former colleague from Sanpower, who had literally just left the company and was about to move to Shanghai within the next two weeks. She told me that she had landed the gig not too long ago (since I last saw her on her last day a few days ago and she hadn't found anything) - again, I have a lot of respect for someone who can just pack their bags and go. I keep meeting people who make these kind of choices and it sometimes puts things into perspective for me - maybe it really isn't such a big deal moving over here (people do it on the reg).
No comments:
Post a Comment